Friday 30 March 2012

another year, another omer

last year I used the daily ritual of counting the omer, the period time between pesach and shavuot, to do a daily drawing exercise. which was more than just an exercise.... last year it was about finding the discarded, rejected detritus of life and marking each day with "I am still alive"... it was an interesting project, and whilst at the time some days it felt futile and silly, when I had the opportunity to view all 49 drawings together I realised that actually those little drawings added up to something more than the sum of their parts.

so the year rolls around. another year. another pesach is on the horizon and with it another omer count. I wanted to continue on the journey I began last year, and so I am repeating the daily drawings. but this time with a twist, and an addition. instead of focusing on the discarded, this year I am exploring the broken shards of life. gather the broken will be a shared omer counting with my friend and rebbe, Amichai Lau-Lavie. Together we will gather what is broken in our daily lives, and not rush to fix or throw away, but hope that creativity is only possible by understanding and acknowledging these imperfect fragments.



omer count starts april 8th, click on gather the broken to subscribe by email

I have no idea where this journey will take us, there are obstacles in the path - logistics and ego of sharing this with another. but you are invited to join us for the journey, we will limp along together. lets hope we will get somewhere.


No comments: